Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Addiction

Well I've got to admit it.  I am addicted to many things.  Some are fleeting and others, well let's just say they follow me everywhere for better or for worse.  For the last few weeks, I  have been addicted to ebay in a big way and I have to say that I have gotten pretty savvy about finding great deals.  I've even fantasized about starting some kind of business where I am a personal shopper for women looking for the major steal.  I had an past client (another career ago) who used to go to Sparks NV to purchase huge quantities of ladies XL under garments  to sell on ebay.  That is not what I am thinking of.  Let's just say Eileen Fisher and you've got the idea.  I think I like searching ebay, because it is a little bit like a treasure hunt or gambling or sifting through mounds of junk at the Bargain Barn in Santa Cruz looking for that 1890's quilt someone tossed away.  When you find the gem it's BINGO!!  I don't think that my addiction to ebay is permanent like my addiction to dark chocolate though, because it is like listening to a favorite song for days on end.  You get the rush and then it diminishes over time and you have to put it down for a couple of weeks until your brain receptors renew themselves.  I have not been on ebay at all today and don't feel any withdrawl symptoms and that is a good sign.  I do, however, have a new favorite food and it is looking a bit like an addiction.  There is a small nut farm that sells at our local Davis Farmer's Market and they have the BEST almonds.  They have many flavors to attract attention, but my favorite are the roasted almonds in olive oil and salt.  The first time I tried them at the Market I didn't think much of them.  I recall telling my sweet husband that I liked the plain, unsalted almonds at our local food Coop for $10.00 per pound better, but we bought a bag anyway because they were different (and $6.00 per pound..gotta love the price) and we thought what the heck.  I brought them home and put them in a jar I keep next to the olive oil on my kitchen counter. At first I was only having a  nibble once in a while  and then I found myself sneaking into the kitchen often for some more.  Now I find myself thinking about the almonds and the olive oil flavor mixed with the salt...kind of like eating a potato chip.  You can 't just eat one and once you put the bag away you are likely to go back shortly and grab some more.  For some, it's the crunch or the bitter or the sweet or the crackle, but for me it is that olive oil salt taste and the way they all blend to make almond butter in my mouth.  Anyway, I am a bonifide olive oil and salt from the Farmer's Market almond addict.   I find myself looking forward to Wednesdays now because I know the friendly guy selling the almonds will be at the Market.  I am going through a pound a week.  I am not going to do the math, but I know that is a lot of almonds.  I guess there could be worse addictions, like let's say...to candy canes or Fruit Loops so I think I can live with this one. If  you have any secret addictions you would like to share, please leave me a comment.

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful evening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment here: