Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Your Shirt is in the Refrigerator

Hey mom...where is my homework..it's in the oven!  Have  you ever heard yourself saying anything like this?  These exact words have escaped from my fried brain in the past week.  Who knows why my brain makes me do and say what is does, but I get by.  I drive around town without getting lost, make tea without burning the house down and remember to feed my kids, mostly.  I do worry about memory lapses, which stresses me out and makes me forget things and starts the cycle again.  I am told that the aging process increases the brain's need for exercise.  Without it, I may end up calling my kids Spot and Fuzzy instead of their given names.  While surfing the internet, I found a "brain site" called Luminosity that promises to increase brain power.  It is like a gym for your brain and has been endorsed by Stanford and some other really important places.  The best part is you only need to practice 15 minutes per day vs. the 30 minutes per day my physical body needs to prevent it from imploding.  Although I have been very resistant to playing computer games,  I decided to sign up for a trial period to see what it was like.  The wizards at Luminosity have come up with a series of games with names like, Monster Patch, Word Bubbles and Bird Migration which are supposed to excite neuronal connections (kind of like the neural net in Star Trek)  hence increasing my processing speed, memory etc.  When I started the program, I felt like a preschooler learning to write her name for the first time.  I was very slow and deliberate with my mouse.  After a while, I began getting the hang of it and found myself having fun.  I mastered some of the beginning levels and moved on to more advanced games.  I even ventured off the website and found other games on the internet (very dangerous for an addict).  My favorite game at the moment is called, Pipes and I could spend the entire day playing it while ignoring my parental duties.  Poor kids!   It is quite addicting because they give me points towards my IQ every time I complete a puzzle and take points away if I fail the quest.  It has me hooked as I try to get more points.

Have I noticed a difference in the past week?  I think so or at least I have convinced myself that something has shifted.  I have observed that I am solving the puzzles faster each time and that must be good.  I will be a believer if I can have a conversation without senior moments and can remember items on my shopping list.  At the very least I might refrain from telling my kids that their shirts are in the refrigerator.

This recipe is for pan seared, wild salmon which is high in omega 3 fatty acids and is good for the brain  (and other things).

Ingredients:
Piece of wild salmon or char
olive oil
sesame oil
sea salt

Directions:
Coat both sides of salmon with olive oil
Heat a cast iron skillet until very hot
Place salmon skin side down on hot skillet
Drizzle a small amount of sesame oil on salmon and add pepper
Cover until just done

Add salt and pepper as needed and serve with a nice local green like kale or bok choi!
pepper

Pan seared salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment here: